Tuesday, November 15, 2022

SPA Sun Fli IV

 Performed final checks of my recently completed Bridi Sun Fli IV.

  • CG - check
  • Control surface linkages - check
  • Radio setup - check
  • Engine/tank configuration- check
  • RTF weight 5lbs, 7ozs - check

SPA in SE Texas is alive and well.  I intend to try competing in a couple upcoming 2023 events along with AMA Masters events.  My goal was to keep it light and simple by not using retracts or a tuned exhaust.  Like the previous SF IV I built and flew in the early 2000s it's powered by an ASP 61 an OS clone outfitted with an OS 7M carb.  As I do with 2c and 4c engines I'll be using CoolPower 30% heli blend for fuel. As soon as the weather permits I'll test run the motor at the house before going to the field.

Mods and options.
  • Added a rudder sub fin
  • Removable canopy
  • dedicated servo for nose wheel steering
  • standard muffler replaced with a Macs flow thru
  • Wing build using an Adjusto-jig
  • Sheeting added top and bottom of stab/elevators
  • Rear bearing supported pushrod to manage split elevator halves
  • 2-aileron servos
  • Pull-pull rudder system
My previous Sun Fli was a lot of fun to take out Sunday evenings and weekday evenings during calm winds.  I am hopeful this is too but add an element of being competitive in SPA Expert.   Whether or not it's competitive soon I'll start construction of a Bridi Dirty Birdy I plan to use retracts and a tuned exhaust.

Links:




















No comments: